Q: The parotid gland secretes saliva through which duct?
(A.) Wharton’s duct
(B.) Stensen’s duct
(C.) Bartholin’s duct
Ducts are escape routes for the saliva and other types of secretion from glands. However, not all glands have ducts – some are ductless. Here is a summary of the major salivary glands and their ducts relevant to us #RDH #FutureRDH:
- The parotid gland secretes saliva through the Stensen’s duct.
- The submandibular gland secretes saliva through the Wharton’s duct.
- The sublingual gland secretes saliva through the Bartholin’s duct.
Answer: (B.) Stensen’s duct
Now how do we memorize this information? If you already found a trick, big applause to you. Before I give you something, try to do it yourself first!
But if you need my trick (that is not perfect, so please send me an email if you have something better at ClaireJ@StudentRDH.com):
- PA + ST = PAST (First 2 letters of PArotid and first 2 letters of STensen)
- Reverse the “M” in subMandibular and it becomes a “W” as in Wharton’s duct
- See the LIN in subLINgual and BarthoLIN
I hope this makes sense! The Dental Hygiene Board Exam (NBDHE, NDHCE) is probably one of the biggest challenges for all students. You may have questions such as: “How do I study for it?” or “Are there sample questions?” so please check out StudentRDH website and find FAQs under “National Boards.”
You can also find the link to the official guidelines for the dental hygiene national exams (NBDHE, NDHCE) created by the regulating associations on those pages.
If you are taking the boards soon, check out the 3 online courses StudentRDH offers:
1. National Boards Review (NBHDE, NDHCE)
2. Local Anesthesia Review (CDCA, WREB)
3. CDCA (ADEX) Review
May this week be another fulfilling #StudentRDH #SoontobeRDH week! Wish you plenty of patients (for your requirements)!
(Disclaimer: StudentRDH is NOT affiliated with the NBDHE, NDHCE, CSCE, CDCA, WREB.)